Spiegelgasse (Mirror Alley)

Interesting exhibition at Hauser & Wirth of work by Swiss artists from the 1930s to the present day.

The title comes from the name of the street in Zurich where Cabaret Voltaire was based which was the birthplace of Dada. It also takes the added meaning of art history not being an evolutionary process but as a hall of mirrors in which artists encounter and reflect each other. OK I admit I got that from the press release I didn’t pick up that theme from the show.

The show was an eclectic collection of work. My favourite piece was a 1939 painting of an unmade bed by Meret Oppenheim with white bedding and pale grey walls. I also liked Urs Fischer’s “The Art of Falling Apart”, a chair, suitcase and shelf od glasses in black and white. It had shades of the Julian Opie I’d seen earlier that day. I’m not sure what it was about but I like it. I loved an installation by Manon called “The Salmon Coloured Boudoir”, a room full things from a ladies bedroom.


 
Closes on 28 July 2018

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1