BP Portrait Award 2018

Nice exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery for the shortlisted entries in this year’s Portrait Award.

 
This is one of the highlights of my art year and I thought this year's was a good show. It was a shame it was in a smaller gallery to usual as it felt cramped and it was hard to see the work from a distance. In the larger gallery I love some of the views through the space so pictures pull you across the room. This didn’t happen this year.
 
I liked Laura Nardo’s picture of an attendant at the National Gallery of Scotland which was touching as Nardo also works as a guide there. Tom Bedeman’s picture of his brother was clever as it was painted on the reverse of glass so the image cast a shadow. Also giving a mention to J.J. Delvine’s “The Ocolograppher” self portrait of himself in his studio with items from his collection. It had a feel of the National Gallery’s St Jerome in his study which did hang on the wall in the picture.
 
I loved the winner this year Miriam Escofet “An Angel at my Table”, a picture of her mother in white with a table of white ceramics. I’d seen it before at a Society of Portrait Painters Show and not realised that a vase and bowl are shown moving across the canvas. So clever.
 
However I’ve picked Paula Wilson’s self-portrait as the image on this story as I loved the jumble of pattern in it contrasting with her hair.

Closes on 23 September 2018


 
Review
Times


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1