Concrete and Chintz

Lovely exhibition at Conway Hall of new work by David Wolverson.


The title reflects the two contrasting type of picture in the show but I loved both of them. Chintz was represented by some beautiful detailed flower pictures. Wolverson has been a carpet, wallpaper and textile designer and you could see this in this work. Some of the flowers were painted against busy backgrounds and I loved one of Iris’s against a gold background. They felt like Hugenhaut silk designs.

Concrete was represented by atmospheric pictures of London. I loved the night scenes which caught the feel of the city at night particularly the river which I often see at that time from the piers. One of a wide road with buses on it reminded me of Impressionist pictures of Paris boulevards. In fact I liked these pictures so much I bought one of St Paul’s viewed from the Millennium Bridge through red brick buildings.


 
Closes on 9 August 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1