St Ives and British Modernism: the George and Ann Dannatt Collection

Interesting exhibition at Pallant House Gallery of works collected by George and Ann Dannatt as well as pictures by George himself.

I was particularly interested in this as I work for the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) and George Dannatt was a chartered surveyor! He met Patrick Heron, the artist, when he went to survey his house in Cornwall and through him he met other artists in the area.

As you know I’m not that fond of abstract work but it was interesting when looking at George’s work that I did get a sense of structure or was that just me projecting?! I liked some of the other work too particularly a long picture by John Wells “Compositional Variation III” with layers of beige and grey but with one splash of a rather unusual bright blue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1