Cumberland Art Gallery

Lovely new art gallery at Hampton Court Palace for displaying the Royal art collection.

I visited this on a lovely day out to the Palace with friends. We went round a lot of the palace and gardens but I also wanted to see the new space as I’d seen reviews of it. I expected a long gallery like at Buckingham Palace but instead it’s an interesting series of rooms with some old friends in.

It was great to see the Artemisia Gentileschi self-portrait which is one of my favourite pictures. Also a couple of Caravaggio’s. I liked the room of Canaletto’s particular as one showed a flat I stayed in a few years ago. 

I will be interested to if the space is used for exhibitions or stays as a ‘greatest hits’ gallery. Also it will be interesting to see what is in the great gallery at Buckingham Palace this year as I recognized a number of the pictures from there last year.

Reviews
Guardian
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1