Jack Smith: Abstract Portraits

Unconvincing exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of abstract portraits by Jack Smith.

OK those of you, if any, who actually read this know my opinions on abstract art and abstract portraits in particular, but I gave this a go with an open mind and still came away confused.

I get that the pictures are a symbolic representation of the person but unless the commentary tells you a bit more about them how can you judge is this works? Is it a ‘portrait’ or just a picture inspired by the person?

Three of the pictures were associated with musicians so I looked at them and got a sense of music. However the one I felt this most strongly from turned out to be the self-portrait. What do I know?

Review
Telegraph

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1