Made in Mexico: the rebozo in art, culture and fashion

Colourful exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum looking at the Mexican scarf, the rebozo, which has become an emblem of Mexican identity. It looked at how they are made and the influence they have had.

The design of the show was lovely with scarves shown on nice manikins of an older Mexican lady, alongside photos and paintings and whole outfits. There was a mocked up shrine in the middle of the room and lots of cacti.

The scarves themselves were beautiful but a little dull in colour and actually all quite similar. I don’t think I really got the subtle differences between them. I was more interested in how Mexican culture has used the image of the scarf and how modern designers had incorporated it. I loved portrait of weaver as a memorial to him with a loom set into the picture.

I enjoyed the show and came out informed but it didn’t make me care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1