Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs

Colourful and fascinating exhibition at Tate Modern looking at Matisse’s work with paper cut outs.

I hadn’t realised that he began using cut outs as a way of composing a picture, moving the pieces around until he had the scene he wanted and then painting it. Also that some of the pictures were designs for other such as stained glass windows, books and even vestments. I had seen them purely as a product of his creative imagination in old age.

I loved the film of him working with an assistant and cutting out pieces which he then had her hold up and move around until he found the right place for it then she pinned it on. He seemed to have a very clear vision of the shape he wanted to make and cut it out with great dexterity and fluidity.

There was an amazing sense of colour in the work and it was interesting to see that he didn’t just buy coloured paper but had it painted in the shades he wanted to use.

I was also intrigued that one of the early works became decoration for his home with the first piece in the Paris apartment being added to cover up a stain!

I would love to have known more about the assistants but I must admit I went with a friend so didn’t take the tape tour. I am sure there is much more to learn on there and I plan to go back and do the show again with it.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1