Bridget Riley, the Stripe Paintings 1961 - 2014

Interesting exhibition at the David Zwirner Gallery of stripe pictures by Bridget Riley from all periods of her career.

These works were beautifully displayed over three floors but I have to confess I find them very hard to look at. The press release said they are “at time triggering optical sensations of vibration and movement” and that is certainly so for me. I don’t find the blue ones too bad but the orange ones seem to jump off the wall and wiggle around! As for the white one with red and blues strips I had to leave the room!

I do actually like the pictures and find the fact that they have this effect fascinating. There was one sketch where a very precise measurement was being worked out and the plan was that the lines weren’t evenly spread they were varying by a millimeter in an uneven pattern. I did wonder how many of the others used this technique but didn’t feel I could get close enough up to measure them!

Review
Guardian


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1