The Sun and the Moon : Art Inspired by the Celestial

Clever and varied exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery looking at art inspired by the sun and the moon.

The work was arranged by time of day and mixed old and new art from around the world as well as discussing folk law related to the time. It was a lot to do in one show which was well laid out with clear commentaries. There were witty touches like including a large photograph of Noel Coward on a beach for the zenith ie midday section. Think about it.

Stand out works of course included Luke Jerram's "Helios" which I last saw at the Old Royal Naval College and it's always fascinating to see it in different spaces. I loved an Evelyn Dunbar of seven figures representing the days of the week at different times particularly as this was the second time I'd seen work by her in a week.

I liked the inclusion of costumes from the Royal Opera and Ballet as well as Margo Selby and Helen Chadwick's woven and sound installation referencing the Navajo women weavers who created the intricate circuits for the Apollo Guidance Computer.

Closed 8 September 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women