Seeking New Landscapes

Interesting exhibition at Flowers Gallery of landscapes, both real and imagined, by contemporary artists.

This was a lovely selection from the traditional to the more abstract. I loved this one by David Helper which, on first glance, looked very usual but when you got close you realised the brown layer at the bottom is earth applied to the canvas.

There was a striking work in the window by Tai Shan Schierenberg and a lovely realistic picture of wild flowers by Gerard Neumaier which felt quite Flemish.

I was interested to see a Welsh landscape by David Dawson who was Lucien Freud's assistant and inherited his studio. It's good to see him work which is less Freud like. On the more abstract side I loved Lucy Jones' bright picture of trees along a path.

Closed 7 August 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women