Cecily Brown : Picture Making

Vibrant exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery South of new work by Cecily Brown.

These big, bold, expressive paintings were inspired by the area around the gallery and showed abstracted vegetation and were shown with previous works dating back to 2001 covering similar themes. I loved how bright and lively they were and how they dominated the white space.

They were shown with some of her drawing showcasing that she draws everyday often responding to illustrations in children's books.

There was a useful leaflet which included interesting quotes from the artist making it fell like she was showing you around such as "I don’t have a central message to get across, so the subject is always just painting and how to push painting. I'm thoroughly absorbed by that".

I will certainly look out for her work in the future. Checking this blog I've realised she did the wonderful new paintings around the top of the staircase at the Courtauld Gallery 

Closes 6 September 2026

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women