Summer Exhibition 2026

Excellent exhibition at the Royal Academy for this annual show of contemporary art.

As ever there was a great eclectic mix but I felt there was more figurative and landscape work and less abstracts. In particular we spotted lots of pictures of dogs which of course appealed. I liked the way the architecture pieces were spread throughout but with a concentration in the last room which gave those works more space than usual.

I think my favourite works were two I saw early on, screenprints of chandeliers by Clare Woods which on first viewing read like bouquets of flowers. I also loved a fun collage print based on Flaming June with added Sainsbury bags by Anna Grayson entitled "Flaming June the Bag Lady".

The show ended in the central octagonal hall which had some brilliant pieces particularly Ryan Gander's  gold mirrors with marble veils hanging over one side and two arresting large portraits by Pauline Olowska.

My favourite sculptural work was a pair of silverplated boots worn out by the artist Zatorski + Zatorski. Van Gogh eat your heart out!

Closed 23 August 2026

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women