Jesús Rafael Soto : Penetrable BBL Jaune

Interesting sculpture/installation outside the Serpentine Gallery of a work by Jesús Rafael Soto.

As you walked towards this work it appeared to be a yellow box but as you got close you realised the yellow was closely hung soft plastic tubes which swayed in the breeze and enveloped you as you walked through it. As I was there a child was enjoying the sensation and running thought the space.

I found it played with my eyes like a Bridget Riley painting and reading the blurb now I realise Soto was classed as a kinetic artist like her. It also says that the work is completed by the presence of the viewer. I would widen that to be the participant.

I was interest to see this work was a relaunch by the artists estate since their death of a work originally made in 1999.

Closes 25 October 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women