Hassan Hajjaj : My London Rockstars. End to the Estates

Bright exhibition at Sotheby's of new work by Hassan Hajjaj.

I have often seen Hajjaj's work in exhibition but not seen a whole show devoted to him. He produces colourful, clear photographic portraits surrounded by a frame of multiple food tins. These works featured London cultural figures. It's only reading the blurb again now that I've realised Hajjaj designs the clothes that the sitters wear.

The show included a fascinating video of him taking the pictures. I hadn’t realised before that they are photographed in the street against a textile pinned to the wall behind. I liked the way the figures seem, to have been photographed from low down so that they proudly look down to the viewer.

Closed 7 August 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women