The Other Art Fair

Fun, eclectic art fair organised by Saatchi Art at the Old Truman Brewery featuring over 100 stalls for individual artists.

It was a real visual treat and a good opportunity to meet artists and hear more about their work. You walked up and down aisles being bombarded by different styles and media. I came away with lots of cards and names of artists to look out for in the future.

The best sculpture was Ed Elliott’s small figurative pieces but checking out his website since it looks like they works scale up to life sized and are very striking. Marie Lenclos’s cityscapes stopped me in my tracks and I loved their clarity.

Joshua Donkor’s portraits, often in pairs showing two aspects of a person’s character, were beautiful and thoughtful. I also liked Justine Smith’s maps made up of world currencies. There was good photography too such as Paul Broun’s of windows on the sides of buildings.

My favourite, shown here, was Rod Kitson’s work painted and sold in one foot squares. I’m not sure how you’d stop buying it as it was all so good. It reminded me of a painted version of Hockney’s polaroid collages.

There was also a fun section where well known artists had been invited to produce a work involving a sculpture of a human brain called “Me, My Brain and I”. My favourite was Hayden Kays’ “Brain Freeze”, a pink melting brain with a lolly stick in it!

Closed 17 October 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1