Sophia Al-Maria: Taraxos

Gentle outside sculpture at the Serpentine Gallery by Sophia Al-Maria.

This is the latest x Modern Forms Sculpture Commission by the gallery and stands near the gallery looking across Hyde Park to Kensington Palace. It is based on dandelions which Al-Maria sees as an emblem of freedom and resistance, as each seed has the potential to become an agent of resilience and change.

It consists of twelve stems. I wish I’d realised when I was there that you could listen to it and it immitted sound when activated by the wind or by touching it. It would have given it another dimension. I’m afraid I was too distracted by a couple of dog walkers with a pack of dogs with balls.

Closes 24 April 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1