Hervé Télémaque: A Hopscotch of the Mind

Strange exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery of work from the 1950s to today by the Haitian artist Hervé Télémaque.

This was quite an eclectic, colourful collection but could be described in the genre of Pop Art. Reading the good small brochure we were given instead of labels I understand the works better now but did find them a bit impenetrable at the time. Maybe I’d done too much that day.

I liked his signature representation of himself as a pair of Y-Fronts but I couldn’t help but be reminded of the old cartoons of John Major! I also liked the way he incorporated objects into some of the work like step ladder in the first work you see.

Closes 30 January 2022

Review

Guardian


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1