Serpentine Pavilion 2021

Dramatic structure at the Serpentine for this year’s Pavilion commission by Counterspace, the South-African architectural practice directed by Sumayya Vally.

The structure looks very solid and permanent and is a change from some of the more temporary looking structures. It is built of reclaimed steel, cork and timber covered with micro-cement and yet looks like a modernist concrete piece. From reading the commentary I learnt it quotes various community spaces for immigrant communities in London but I must admit I would not have got this from looking at it.

I did stop for a coffee in it and liked the way people were using the various heights of benches to sit and talk in small groups. However the concrete style seats were not the most comfortable and didn’t encourage me to linger. I would have liked to see the space in use for large event as I think this would have worked well.

Closed 17 October 2021


Reviews

Times

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1