Charleston : The Bloomsbury Muse

Fabulous exhibition at Philip Mould & Co looking at the art of the Bloomsbury Group and how it was inspired by the house they lived in, Charleston.

OK I admit I am biased being a huge Bloomsbury fan as I’m sure I’ve said more than once! I thought this was such a clever idea to treat the house as a muse and a different twist.

The works were beautifully displayed with good commentaries and it was nice to watch some of the old archive films from Charleston including interviews with Duncan Grant plus Quentin and Angelica Bell.

I expected to see lots of things I knew but was pleasantly surprised at how work there which was here I had not seen before including this wonderful modernist flower painting by Vanessa Bell done in 1912. It was also great to see so much from the house in a different setting which made you look at it with fresh eyes. It was particularly nice to be able to see all four sides of the Leda and the Duck chest.

Closes 10 November 2021

Reviews

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1