Anicka Yi: In Love With the World

Eerie installation in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern by Anicka Yi.

This consists of floating forms based on ocean life forms and mushrooms which she calls aerobes, which appear from an enclosure in one corner and waft over the space. They are powered by uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) which do not require humans to pilot them. Here, they each follow a unique flight path generated from a vast range of options in the system’s software. I gather they partly move towards people driven by the heat the people generate.

The work comes with a scentscape which evidently reflects the history of the Bankside area where the gallery is based. I certainly smelt something when I was there but not sure I could identify what it was.

I found this work both endearing and a little frightening. Knowing the forms are driven by AI you get a sense that they could become a life form and I do wonder how it will change over time. I’ll definitely be going back for another look despite feeling it could be the start of an episode of Dr Who.

Closes 16 January 2022

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1