Soaring Flight: Peter Lanyon’s Gliding

Interesting exhibition at the Courtauld Gallery of pictures by Peter Lanyon based on his experience of glider flying.

Lanyon used his glider flying to get a new view of the landscape and described these works as “aerial encounters with the land, sea and sky”. However he also felt they expressed the emotion of a moment.

The images were rather calming and ethereal with a collage like effect of scrapped back paint revealing pattern underneath. There were lots of lovely blue shades and I liked the way many of the titles described a weather effect. The hang was lovely in an open room with lots of space between them.

However I must admit they were a bit too abstract and expressive for me. I was pleased to have seen them on mass and learn more about the ideas behind them but I am not sure I would understand or respond to one of them on their own.

Closes 17 January 2015.

Reviews
Guardian
Telegraph


 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1