Losing the Compass

Interesting exhibition at White Cude Mason’s Yard looking at the symbolism of textiles in art and craft practice.

Upstairs was a lovely room of Amish quilts displayed along a low platform overlapping to create a colourful collage of patterns. I always love quilts as they show an artistic outlet for women.

Downstairs were assorted contemporary works. I liked the Rudolf Stingel pictures of flock wallpaper using oil and enamel. Also rather stunning were Sterling Ruby’s large canvases made with fabric, glue and bleached canvas. I liked Mona Hataum skeleton rugs and would love one for the lounge!

However my friend did stand in front of an abstract work with a couple of coloured blobs on and with great disbelief just said “but it’s knitted”! Which I’m afraid did corpse me and sort of summed up the show!

Closes on 9 January 2016.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1