Designer Crafts at Christmas 2015

Lovely selling exhibition at the Mall Galleries of work from members of the Society of Designers Craftsmen.

I always enjoy their exhibitions but it was nice that this time the crafts people were at their stalls so you got a chance to talk to them about their work. I had bought a vase by Kathryn Bonson at a show in 2014 so it was really nice to meet her. Other nice ceramics included Margaret Gardiner’s lovely blue glazed work.

There was some notable wood work around. I confess to a bias as a friend Richard Shock was exhibiting for the first time there and his wood turning with inlay was catching people’s eyes as we stood and talked. I also liked Simon Jewell marquetry work on boxes.

I look forward to the next show in August which I hope will go back to the traditional exhibition format which gives more space for looking at the work however it’s great to have both styles!

Closed 20 December 2015.

 

Comments

Richard Shock said…
Cathy

Thanks for your (positive!) review. As a first time participant I can also be positive about the exhibition. I thought it was very well organised and set out. As a maker I'm careful about whose work I show with but was so impressed with all the work around me - Kathy and I could easily have spent with other makers all the money I made on sales.

I'll be applying very soon to participate in the exhibition in August.

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1