Dressed by Angels

Fun exhibition at the Old Truman Brewery looking at the work of the costumiers Angels.

The first section of the show looked at the history of the company including designs contemporary to their foundation and talking about their origins hiring clothes in the 19th century to jobbing actors as they were expected to provide their own costumes for plays and were often picked on having the right clothes rather than their abilities!

The second half focused on costumes they had produced and films they had worked on in a rough chronological order. I loved the 70s section including a dress for Margo on the Good Life and Glenda Jackson’s Cleopatra outfit from the Morecombe and Wise show. I also liked the costumes from Wicked which I’ve not seen but it’s now on my to do list!

It was also interesting to see costume for films being made now which are out now such as an outfit for Maggie Smith in “Lady in the Van”, not exactly high glamour but fascinating to see the attention to detail.

However since I went to the show, when I went back to check the web site for this blog, I spotted the following!

“We regret to advise you that Dressed by Angels Limited has permanently ceased trading with immediate effect and an insolvency practitioner has been instructed to convene meetings of members and creditors for Friday 18 December 2015 with a view to placing the Company into Creditors’ Voluntary Liquidation.”

So even though I’d have loved to recommend the show you are too late and it’s closed! I have never come across this before!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1