RA Schools Show 2022

Fascinating exhibition at the Royal Academy showcasing the work of the final year students in the schools.

I always enjoy this show although I’m not sure I understand much of the work. There was a good handout with a list of the artists and work but it would really benefit from each artists writing a small piece about the work to give a bit of a clue on what it is about. A lot seemed to be quite conceptual but I’m not always sure I spotted the concept.

Some work did come alive as the artist was in his studio and explained it to us. This was Pascal Sender and there were layers to the work I would never have grasped without his help. The work had already struck us as it was very colourful after a lot of grey work.

The picture I use is the best use I’ve ever seen made of the big windows in the central room between the staircases. It was by Catinca Malaimare.

However the show was stolen by Millie Layton’s “My Way, Sing by Wren” which was a recording of a small child singing “My May” from a corner of the room with all the gusto of Sinatra! I’m afraid I got the giggles and had to keep going back to listen again. I’m sure I liked it for all the wrong reasons.

Closes 3 July 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1