Kyōsai: The Israel Goldman Collection

Fascinating exhibition at the Royal Academy on the life and work of the 19th century Japanese artist Kawanabe Kyōsai.

I must admit I didn’t know this artists work at all but I am fond of Japanese prints so I was interested to see what the paintings of the period might look like and to learn more about an artist who was contemporary with the Impressionists but from a completely different tradition. The commentaries were easy to understand and clear.

I loved the long format of a lot of these works and they looked beautiful in the space set in deep displays and the gentle sense of humour in some of them. I did find myself smiling at frog acrobats and, lets be crude, fart pictures.

The later work reflected the growing Western influences and the modernisation of the country. You start to see the appear on of a telegraph pole and people in top hats. I liked the idea of calligraphy and painting parties where you paid to go then you could commission work from a selection of artists often with many hands involved in a picture at no extra costs. I’d have been blogging every party!

Closed 19 June 2022

Reviews

Times

Guardian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1