Empire, Faith and War: The Sikhs and World War One

Interesting exhibition at SOAS, University of London looking at the role played by Sikh’s in the First World War.

At the outbreak of the war Sikh’s made up 1% of the population of India but came to make up 20% of the Indian Army and their role was critical in the early months of the war. I have always been fascinated by the role of Indian’s in the war as my grandfather served with them and admired them.

The exhibition was well laid out with lots of information and great photos round the walls. Most interesting was the recording the German’s made of Sikh prisoners of war. Although I couldn’t understand the language is was magical to hear a voice directly from the First World War. I’ve seen lots of photos, painting and films over the last few weeks but that was the first voice I’d heard!

I would like to have seen more objects from the war but the photo and commentary more than made up for this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1