Blood swept land and seas of red

Magnificent installation at the Tower of London of ceramic red poppies filling the moat to mark the one hundredth anniversary of the start of the First World War. It is created by ceramic artist Paul Cummins, with setting by stage designer Tom Piper.

This work is being put together gradually. It started at the end of July and the plan is to place the last poppy on 11 November this year. There will be one flower to mark every fatality of the war.

When I saw it I already thought it looked spectacular but I missed the fact the flowers were cascading from one of the windows of the Tower making it look like the building was bleeding. I plan to keep going back and watch it grow and I have already bought one of the flowers.

I love the idea that it is partly to commemorate the fact that the Tower was one of the main recruiting stations for the City of London. Imagine how proud you must have felt to have signed up there. However it is like all the men who signed up have returned as poppies. It’s a really clever and moving piece. I am so pleased it has grabbed the public’s imagination.

Review
Telegraph

 

 

Comments

Richard Shock said…
Thanks for your review - we must go and see it

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1