Only in England

Nostalgic exhibition of photographs by Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr at the Science Museum.

As I was a child in the 1960s I found it quite strange for life then to be looked at almost as an anthropological project! I much preferred the work of Martin Parr which had warmth and humanity about it. I particularly like his work from around Hebden Bridge as it is an area I know well and I though he captured the close nit communities there.

I found Tony Ray-Jones work more mocking. He seemed to specializing in picking an image which showed a person in isolation within a crowd and big events like carnivals but with few people at them. Oddly works of his chosen by Martin Parr had a warmer more sympathetic side to them.

Reviews
Guardian

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1