Master editions

Useful exhibition at the Halcyon Gallery looking at the role prints have played in art from the etchings of Durer and Rembrandt to works by modern artists.

Although this was a selling exhibition it went out of its way to also offer an overview of the subject with excellent commentaries on the works and two walls giving definitions of the terms used in print making. It showed how artists increasingly saw print making as an art form in its own right.

There were sections on the Old Masters, Impressionist and modern European, British and American works. I had not known that Pissaro worked quite extensively in prints and in fact saw his prints quoted in another exhibition later in the week. I loved the Matisse prints particularly a lovely simply drawn face called “Grande Visage”.

But most surprising to me were the Warhol prints. I confess I don’t usually like Warhol but I loved two prints of grapes and a set of prints of shoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1