National Theatre Lampoon

Fun exhibition at the National Theatre to mark 50 years since its foundation telling its history via cartoons, satire and critics.

This had a lovely balance of history and humour and I admit I did laugh out loud at a couple of points. I didn’t know a lot of the early history with wonderful committee rows and strange fund raising events. Even after the foundation when it came to building the new theatre the site and foundation stone moved so often the Queen Mother claimed it was on castors!

I first went to the theatre in 1978 and went a lot in the mid 80s so I found this section the most interesting bringing back many happy memories of shows I’d seen.  Incidentally I added to the good memories that night with a trip to see “The Light Princess”!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1