Fourth Plinth commission: Six new ideas

Interesting exhibition at St Martin in the Fields of the latest six contenders to occupy the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square.

I liked all the works this time and have now learnt that the scale may vary slightly in the finished work to make sure the work fits esthetically onto the plinth.

I voted for Hans Haacke’s “Gift Horse” a large skeleton of a horse which would have a ribbon round it’s leg which would show live stock market reports from the Stock Exchange. I liked it because the plinth was destined for a man on a horse so this uses the horse idea plus I liked the idea of something on it which changes.

My least favourite was Ugo Rondinone’s “Moon Mask” which I thought was very effective from the front but the back was quite dull and the object needs to work from all sides.

Reviews
Times
Guardian


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1