Vibrant City

Interesting installation next to St Paul's Cathedral where two artists were invited to explore ways to use colour, pattern and text to enhance the urban experience in winter. 

This commission is part the Lord Mayor of London's "Let's Do London" visitor campaign.  And the artists came from the University of the Arts London.

The geometrical works called "Tread Lightly" were by Sophie Cornish and they aim to disrupt the space around them. I'm not sure I understood the commentary on them which says they "seek to engage with its viewers in a collective act of thoughtfulness and resilience" but I was interested in the effect of the pattern which made the box like structure appear wonky as you walked through them.

The other pieces called "There is Enough to Go Round" were by Annabel Maguire and reference textures from the surrounding area which I must admit I didn't realise until I read the blurb. Each also had an affirming statement repeated around them.

I felt Maguire’s fit the space better but it might have been interesting to see the works in isolation rather than together. However it is always good to see new commissioned art in public spaces and it certainly enhanced my urban experience on a bright winter wander.

Closes 2 March 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1