Making Modernism : Paula Modersohn-Becker, Käthe Kollwitz, Gabriele Münter and Marianne Werefkin

Colourful and fascinating exhibition at the Royal Academy of work by a selection of female German and Russian Modernist artists.

I only knew two of these artists before a talk I did by the curator before I went to the show, Munter and Kollwitz but found their art, lives and connections fascinating. I couldn’t help but compare their work to early pieces by Vanessa Bell which could easily have fit in here.

I loved the colour and blocky presentation of the pictures. I think my favourite was one by Munter off her flat/studio with a wonderful striped rug drawing your eye across it and her husband or Kandinsky in the bedroom to one side. I was less fond of Werefkin’s work but she was only really represented by paintings when she was mainly known as a sculptor.

I learnt about lots of new people and stories which I will look out for in the future.

Closes 12 February 2023


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1