Lynette Yiadom-Boakye : Fly in League with the Night

Beautiful exhibition at Tate Britain of work by Lynette Yiadom-Boakye.

This show has had an interesting history. It initially opened just before lockdown in 2020. It came back in Spring 2021, when I went to see it, and has returned again presumably to give it a better chance to be seen by more people.

I won’t review it again you can read my previous blog post but I thought it might be interesting to record my second impressions. I was struck by the artists clever use of white paint. There are obvious things like shirts, socks and cigarettes but also stark highlights on skin and clothing.

Having just done a course on Whistler and Sickert I couldn’t help to view through their lens. There was a picture of a man in a white shirt which screamed “Symphony in White No 1” at me for the amazing array of colours in the white. As many works were dark faces against dark backgrounds I did think of Sickert and his love of painting in shades of mud.

I’ll certainly be continuing to look out for Lynette Yiadom-Boakye’s work.

Closes 26 February 2023

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1