Weird Sensation Feels Good: The World of ASMR

Incomprehensible exhibition at the Design Museum on the concept of Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, ASMR.

ASMR is a physical sensation of deep calm or euphoria sometimes with tingling. I don’t get it. I’d gone thinking it was the idea of repetitive sensation like popping bubble wrap or watching cake icing videos (yes I admit it!).

The design of an exhibition is not conducive to deep calm and this one had some annoying features. As I’d got the lift down to it I missed out on the leaflet, which might have helped, and all seating in the show low beanbag like bolsters. Although it would have been good to linger on some of the videos the seating was hard to get on and off for some off their audience and no one else seemed to be using them either. Given there was a designing for age show up stairs it seemed ironic! Look to yourselves first!

I’m afraid I just didn’t get the concept! There were whispering people and repetitive digital videos. The only one I lingered over was Bob Ross’s painting program, which was big in lockdown, but I’d not seen is ASMR. There was a lot of lot of interactive things but I never find it that encouraging to do that on your own.

It was a show for an audience who understands and buys into the idea already. Sell me the idea!

Closes 16 October 2022

Review

Evening Standard


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1