Louise Giovanelli : As If, Almost

Interesting exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey of new paintings by Louise Giovanelli.

These were mainly large pictures apparently based on cropped photographs which reminded me of Sickert on a much larger scale.

The subjects covered drinking wine, hair and theatrical curtains. According to the commentary they “reflect on new modes of devotion and iconography in the modern world”.

I liked the repetition of image in different colours and sizes in the wine pictures and they did make me want a glass but I’m not sure that was the point. My favourites were the majestic pictures of theatre curtains like the attached which was about 3m wide.

Closes 11 September 2022

Review

Telegraph


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1