Drawing attention: Emerging British Artists

Dull exhibition at the British Museum of recently acquired drawings by emerging artists.

It was a nice touch to show the new pieces alongside older works from the collection but I’m afraid these tended to overshadow the works they were trying to highlight. Some of the descriptions of the new work, particularly when written by the artists was a bit impenetrable. “Hierarchy between human and non-human” anyone?

Some of the works did make me question what drawing is. I liked a Yinka Shonibare woodcut with Dutch wax fabric piece added but is that drawing? The commentary in a section on materiality did say that drawing was not confined to pencils but could include burning, sewing etc. I’m not too sure.

My favourite piece attached is by Sin Wai Kin (formerly Victoria Sin) and is drag queen’s make up for Pride 2017 on a face wipe which reminded me of a Veronica (Look it up if you don’t know). I’d say it’s not a drawing but its fun and innovative.

Closes 28 August 2022

 

Comments

Rachel said…
I think there is something strangely eerie about the face and a bit melancholic

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1