Austin Cole : A Sense of Place

Delightful exhibition at Eames Fine Art’s print gallery of work by Austin Cole.

This was a lovely selection of prints and drawings of Wales, London, Venice and New York, all places I love so they had a lot of resonance.

I loved the way he captured the decaying the Venice palaces, real shades of “Stones of Venice”. I was fascinated to compare the drawings and prints as the day before I’d done a show at the Courtauld on Renaissance drawings used for prints. The drawings had a lightness whereas as the prints had a dark, solidity. Both worked well.

My favourites were a series of wide prints of Borough Market, which, despite being small were full of detail and had a majesty about them.

Closes 11 September 2022


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1