My Life in Art

Moving interview at Charleston Farmhouse as part of the Charleston Festival with the photographer Don McCullin.

Sean O’Hagan, a brilliant chair, used images to guide McCullin to discuss his life and work from his iconic war photography to his current landscapes.

McCullin came across as someone deeply affected by the war work while also denying this. Chatting to other audience members afterwards we were struck by the contradictions in what he said, quotes like “these are things that suffocate my thinking “, “I’ve never found the freedom to enjoy my life” and “I do landscape to avoid my guilt”.

Sadly the event ended abruptly before the Q&A as one of the audience was taken in and they had to clear the tent. It added a dramatic ending to a tense event but I’m pleased to report they were fine.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

The Renaissance Nude