Gothic Cathedrals in France

Fascinating two week online course from ARTscapades looking at the development of the Gothic style in France.

Jana Gajdošov from Sam Fogg Limited and the Victoria and Albert Museum lead us clearly through four lectures, the first three grouping cathedrals chronologically and stylistically and the last focusing on Notre Dame often seen as the pinnacle of the style.

It would have been useful to have a glossary of terms to refer to so I had to do a lot of Googling for spellings when I typed up the notes but as the course progressed you became more familiar with the terms. I liked the way the speaker took us through church by church building up a progression of ideas.

I discovered a number of cathedrals I hadn’t heard of before and now have yet another travel itinerary to add to the bucket list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

The Renaissance Nude