Expressionists: Kandinsky, Munter and the Blue Rider

Vibrant exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the Blue Rider artists based around Munich in the early 20th century.

I knew and liked the work of a number of these artists and love this period of art just before the First World War but it was fascinating to see them presented as a group. I did wish I’d done an introductory lecture on the show as I found the information available in the show was a bit disjointed. There was a new idea of charging £5 for a comprehensive small booklet on the show but I rather resent having to pay for that level of narrative.

Criticism over, I loved the art which felt like the Bloomsbury Group on acid having discovered spirituality. I would have liked to know a bit more about the relationships between the artists and how they lived.

My favourite pieces were where they painted each other and the world around them. The female artists came out of the show particularly well with Munter leading the field. I was interested to see her photography included in the show as well as her painting. I loved the sense of colour and life cut all too short by the First World War.

A new find for me was Lyonel Feininger with two monotone pictures of churches in the show. I’m off to Google him.

Closes 20 October 2024


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

The Renaissance Nude