Women In Revolt! : Art and Activism in the UK 1970-1990

Heavy exhibition at Tate Britain looking at feminist art over twenty years at the end of the last century.

I say heavy because it was a mix between an art exhibition and social history. There was a lot to read and I must admit at times it was just too much. There were a lot of groups and movements to represent and it became a bit indigestible.

I liked the way it was set out with themes that made it vaguely chronological and the use of chip board display cabinets which gave it a feel of the period. I also liked the mix of fine art and the imagery of political magazines and pamphlets. At times though the labels in the cases were a long way from the objects.

It was nice to hear the show stimulating conversations as people went round. A lot of the audience, including myself, were of the era being shown so I’m not sure if it was history to us or nostalgia. It did make me realise how far we’ve come since 1970.

Closes 14 April 2024


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1