Makerversity: Designing for the Real World

Fascinating small exhibition at Somerset House looking at cutting edge design solutions and how they come about.

Makerversity is a community of over 300 creatives based at Somerset House and this show highlights work by current and previous members.

The central room included a workshop hosting four projects in rotation showing their working practice.

There were some brilliant projects and I was drawn to a process inspired by a Candy Floss machine to turn waste plastic into usable fibres. It seemed a simple solution for a small manufacturer. I was also intrigued by a headband which delivered low electrical impulses to eradicate period pains and other symptoms. If the girls being interviewed on the video were anything to go by I wish this had been available to me.

I wasn’t so convinced by the idea of a crop to grow fully formed hats but I’m prepared to be proved wrong.

Closes 4 February 2024




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1