Ethel Walker

Fascinating display at Tate Britain on the work of early 20th century artist Ethel Walker.

This is a period of British art that I love yet I was surprised that I had not come across Walker, particularly as she had done a portrait of Vanessa Bell and as you may know I’m a Bloomsbury nerd.

The commentary explained how she had been made a Dame and was described in her obituary in the Times as “the most important woman artist of her time”. She represented Britain three times at the Venice Biennale. How fickle is the art market! I thought the works were just as good and interesting as the pieces in the permanent collection in the next room from about the same time.

I particularly liked the portraits which were tender and colourful. She also did large murals she called ‘decorations’ and I loved “The Excursion of Nausicaa” which created a Utopian vision of an all female society. Surely that should be up with  “Orlando”  and “The Well of Loneliness” as major Lesbian art works of the period.

Closes 5 May 2024


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1