Sarah Lucas : Happy Gas

Retrospective exhibition at Tate Britain of work by Sarah Lucas.

The show was beautifully arranged with each room feeling like an installation. I loved that some pieces were displayed without barriers. A lot of the commentary in the booklet is written by Lucas which gives it an immediacy.

I am afraid through that I just don’t relate to Lucas’s work. I understand it and welcome the points it makes but I don’t find it that attractive. It was like the Philip Guston show I saw a few days earlier in that it benefits from being shown as a buddy of work but I wouldn’t want a piece. I won’t be rushing out to stuff a pair of tights.

The title references Nitrous Oxide and it was a coincidence that I visited on the day its sale was banned in the UK.

Closes 14 January 2024


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1