Reworking Manet

Surprising good exhibition at the Courtauld Gallery by 14-18 year olds in response to Édouard Manet’s painting A Bar at the Folies-Bergère (1882) in gallery’s collection.

I say surprising as, often when a gallery showcases art by young people, it can feel a bit shallow but this included some beautiful pieces and illuminated aspects of the painting I’d not thought about before.

The project brief was developed by The Courtauld’s learning team in collaboration with a group of young people and Turner Prize-winning artist and Courtauld alumnus, Jeremy Deller, and was open to UK wide submissions.

I was immediately drawn to a stunning painting of a pub interior by Mariel aged 17. I’d happily have it on my wall. I also liked two pieces focusing on the mandarins on the bar which I’d not realised were luxury items at the time.

An innovative piece analysed the scents which might have been in the scene and there were a series of tins reproducing them. Surprisingly effective once you worked out that they opened! A slightly senior moment!

Closes 18 February 2024


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1