Philip Guston

Interesting exhibition at Tate Modern on the 20th century American artist Philip Guston.

I’d done a course on Guston the week before and was very glad I had as his career was so varied I’m not sure I would have understood the trajectory of it just with the commentaries although they were good. You hardly believe that one artist did all the work as each period is so different.

The show is chronological, starting with early pieces inspired by contemporary European art and the early Italian Renaissance. I was fascinated to see how his art developed purely from looking and that he had no formal training.

There was a good section of his mural work which combined good archive material with easel works of the same period to show their style. I think these pieces were my favourites as they did remind me of Italian frescos.

The period post Second World War saw him move into abstract expressionism along with other American artists. I never respond well to this type of art but it was well explained and they gave a sense of how successful it had been for him.

Finally the show moved on to a large section on his later work, which is probably the most recognisable to us. It takes on a cartoon like character, often on a pink background. It often features a Klu Klux Klan like figure which feels odd to today’s sensibilities but the commentary described this as him trying to look at what evil looks like and that it can be hiding in the ordinary or even within us.  I’m not sure I want one but find them fascinating as a group.

Closes 25 February 2023


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1