Julie Mehretu: They departed for their own country another way (a 9x9x9 hauntology)

Baffling exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey of new work by Julie Mehretu.

These were large, apparently abstract paintings which, according to the commentary, draw on subject matter from current affairs such as the war in Ukraine. I must admit I did not get that from them.

It consisted of three sets of paintings, each with nine pictures. I liked the street art effect in which some colours sung out from the canvas as well as the innovative hang of one set in the round on aluminium frames. However I wasn’t moved by them and was left feeling I might be missing something.

Closed 5 November 2023

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1